[FieldTrip] Sample script for spike+LFP analysis?

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Jan 21 10:27:43 CET 2014

Hi Jay,

I think the best you could get in terms of script would be the one from the tutorial. If it does not work for you, could you specify what causes you to get stuck exactly?

On Jan 21, 2014, at 10:20 AM, Jay Hegdé wrote:

> Hi Eelke,
>
> Thank you very much.  But I'm afraid this doesn't solve my problem.  My problem is not that I don't understand the nature of the trl matrix (which is easy enough to surmise by looking at ft_definetrial.m). Rather, it is understanding how the whole script is supposed to work -- which is why I was looking for a working script. (I haven't been able to find one in http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example.) So in this case, one script would be worth a thousand words for me.
>
> Which is why I'd like to respectfully ask again: does anyone have a working script (plus a datafile, if the script does something other than spike-LFP analysis) that they can share?
>
> Best,
> Jay
>
> On 1/21/2014 3:30 AM, Eelke Spaak wrote:
>> Hi Jay,
>>
>> A "trl" matrix is an Nx3 matrix that gives, for each of N trials, the
>> begin and end sample, and the 'offset' (shift in time axis to
>> determine t=0; offset=0 means begin sample will be t=0).
>>
>> In typical cognitive experiments, such a matrix is generated by a call
>> to ft_definetrial, which in turn calls either a user-specified
>> "trialfun" to find events of interest in the data (recorded in a
>> trigger channel), or ft_trialfun_general. ft_trialfun_general is a
>> simple trialfun that looks for specified event values in a specified
>> trigger channel, and creates trials spanning from X seconds before the
>> event to Y seconds after the event. For using ft_definetrial, see this
>> tutorial: http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/preprocessing
>>
>> If for any reason (e.g. you don't have triggers) you don't want to use
>> ft_definetrial, you can simply create a trl matrix yourself by
>> specifying the sample indices and offset.
>>
>> Best,
>> Eelke
>>
>> On 21 January 2014 02:30, Jay Hegdé <jhegde at gru.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> I'd like to use FieldTrip for the joint analysis of spike and local field
>>> potential (LFP) data.  I'm proficient in Matlab, but very new to FieldTrip.
>>>
>>> I'm trying to write a script by precisely following the relevant tutorial
>>> (http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/spikefield). Everything goes OK for
>>> the first couple of steps, but I'm getting stuck when it comes to
>>> constructing "a cfg.trl matrix to preprocess the LFP data" described in the
>>> tutorial.
>>>
>>> So can anyone share an example script that actually runs and does this
>>> analysis, so I can see what the tutorial is talking about?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much in advance,
>>> Jay Hegdé
>>> Medical College of Georgia
>>> Georgia Regents University
>>> Augusta, GA, USA

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793

http://www.hettaligebrein.nl