Problem with Clean on RedHat 5.0

Jan Skibinski jans@numeric-quest.com
Thu, 14 May 1998 13:00:17 -0500 (CDT)

> Therefore, we do not think the problem was with libc6 since we used
> libc5. Of course other programs, not only CLEAN, also don't work
> properly with RedHat5.0.
> Eclipse and so on...

> (cut)
> Anyway, since RedHat5.0 is not working as a standard Linux we suggest
> you to use RedHat4.2, which is stable. As you know they classify Linux
> versions as "STABLE" and "NOT STABLE" :))))) . Poor Bill Gates if he
> would dare to use the same classification for his products :)).

You might also consider having a hybrid system based on Redhat
4.2 with both libraries libc5 and libc6. Two approaches are
possible. I choose to compile the libraries from sources for
one of my Linux boxes and I am very pleased to have a system
which runs both types of applications and let me compile
either libc5 or libc6 based programs without messing with
Makefiles. I just rotate either LIBC6 or LIBC5 to the top of my
PATH and then 'make' my programs either way.

See http://www.numeric-quest.com/lang/multithreading.html,
with the reference to detailed installation instructions
(not mine) and my own description of some other isuues related
to this newest "revolution" in Linux world.

Jan