Problem with Clean on RedHat 5.0

Alcimar Barbosa Soares alcimar@ufu.br
Thu, 14 May 1998 14:19:34 -0300

Dear Jarda,

We've installed RedHat 5.0 with the library libc5, but it didn't work as
you already know!
The error message was exactly the one you've gotten.

Therefore, we do not think the problem was with libc6 since we used
libc5. Of course other programs, not only CLEAN, also don't work
properly with RedHat5.0.
We suppose the CLEAN team will fix that problem some day (soon we hope
:) )! The same could be said for other developers such as Mercury,
Eclipse and so on...

Anyway, since RedHat5.0 is not working as a standard Linux we suggest
you to use RedHat4.2, which is stable. As you know they classify Linux
versions as "STABLE" and "NOT STABLE" :))))) . Poor Bill Gates if he
would dare to use the same classification for his products :)).

Besides the problem you've detected RedHat5.0 is prone to KERNEL PANIC
--- I HAVE NO IDEA what is Kelnell Panic, but when it happens the
machine will freeze and, guess what???, you need to re-format your hard
disk... Therefore, stay with RedHat4.2 and miles away from RedHat5.0...

Now back to a more important subject:

We have a big team in this lab, some of them love bear, some don't...
Ana, for instance, is a health freak :))... She rides her bike for six
miles every single day (believe it or not!!), she is an AIKODO
instructor (she has a whole academy, only for herself :)... ), she is
bringing the staff a Japanese AIKIDO academy to Uberlandia at her own
expense.. (Sometimes I wonder what she is doing here with us, working
with Clean, ML, Prolog, etc, etc...).
Of course, as you can realize, she is not very keen on bear, or anything
that could harm her physical condition... Her interest in bear is purely
theoretical. If you send her bear, she would give it to us anyway, THEN
just send it directly to US...

We've already decided for a plan to choose the best bear in the world,
bear with me for another minute or so. As you know we are Brazilians, so
we are NOT biased, since our bear has no chance in such contest,
therefore our plan is as follows:

1 - You send us a dozen or two dozens of the best bear from Pilz...
2 - Koen send us a dozen of Leffe and a dozen of Kriek...
3 - Doors are open for any other contestant... You folks out there that
think you've got the best bear, do as explained in item 1 or 2..
4 - We take those bears, make a big friday afternoon party, and while
Ana is riding her bike for those six miles or dealing with AIKIDO
fighters, we start writing in a CLEAN data base our results.. to fill it
up we must, OF COURSE, drink everything you sent us (the worst part),
YOU CAN BE SURE that we will not forget any entries...
5 - We post the results in Ana's web page...
6 - END of the contest!!!

What else can you guys ask for than an unbiased judgement??

Have fun,

Alcimar + Costa