IOState

Peter Achten peter88@cs.kun.nl
Fri, 01 May 1998 18:25:47 +0200

Dear Adrian,

At 02:36 PM 5/1/98 +0100, you wrote:
>On Wed 29 Apr, Paulo Alfredo Mainieri Junior wrote:
>> Somebody Help me:
>>
>> I'm getting some troubles to understand IOState struture. Witch
>> paper would you recomend me to read to understand it? I was a pascal
>> programmer and it's been very hard to evaluate to Clean.
>
>Have you tried reading Chapter 10 of the 'Clean Language
>Report V1.2' and the Standrd Library Documentation in Appendix B?
>If not, this is probably a good place to start.
>
>Alternatively, Chapter 5 of the book 'Functional Programming in Clean'
>describes IO, and is more like a tutorial for novices.
>
>You can get both these documents from the Clean web site.
>
>Also, if you want wade through academic stuff, page 152 of the
>language report lists papers written about Clean IO. You can
>probably get some of these from the Clean web site (but I've
>never tried).

I have already replied the following to Paulo Alfredo, but ofcourse forgot to forward it to you all :-). Here is my reply:

The following paper is probably what you are looking for:

Achten, P.M. and Plasmeijer, M.J. 1995
The ins and outs of Clean I/O.
In: Journal of Functional Programming 5(1) - January 1995, Cambridge University Press, pp.81-110.

If you have trouble obtaining the journal there is also an electronic version available. It is not exactly the same; it is slightly adapted as it appeared in my PhD Thesis. You can it obtain it via:

anonymous ftp:
ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/CSI/SoftwEng.FunctLang/papers/achp96-thesis2.ps.gz

or via WWW:
http://www.cs.kun.nl/~peter88/PeterThesisFTP.html
select the link: 2 Single Interactive Functional Programs

>Unfortunately, these both describe the old Version 0.8 library.
>I don't think there is any documentation available yet for the
>Object IO library, so I've decided to keep using Version 0.8.
>I think you should do the same if all you're doing is evaluating
>Clean.
A paper about the Object I/O library has appeared in the Proceedings of the 9th International Workshop on Implementation of Functional Languages, St.Andrews, Scotland, September 10th-12th, 1997. The proceedings are now being published by Springer, but I don't know the LNCS number yet. This information should be available real soon. In any case, you can contact one of the editors:

Chris Clack (University College London)
    e-mail: C.Clack@cs.ucl.ac.uk
Tony Davie (University of St.Andrews)
    e-mail: ad@dcs.st-and.ac.uk
Kevin Hammond (University of St.Andrews)
    e-mail: kh@dcs.st-and.ac.uk

Greetings,
Peter