Object I/O for Windows

Koen De Turck eric.de.turck@skynet.be
Fri, 1 May 1998 19:28:41 +0200

----------
> From: Peter Achten <peter88@cs.kun.nl>
> To: clean-list@cs.kun.nl
> Subject: Re: IOState
> Date: vendredi 1 mai 1998 18:25
>
> Dear Adrian,
>
> At 02:36 PM 5/1/98 +0100, you wrote:
> >On Wed 29 Apr, Paulo Alfredo Mainieri Junior wrote:
> >> Somebody Help me:
> >>
> >> I'm getting some troubles to understand IOState struture. Witch
> >> paper would you recomend me to read to understand it? I was a pascal
> >> programmer and it's been very hard to evaluate to Clean.
> >
> >Have you tried reading Chapter 10 of the 'Clean Language
> >Report V1.2' and the Standrd Library Documentation in Appendix B?
> >If not, this is probably a good place to start.
> >
> >Alternatively, Chapter 5 of the book 'Functional Programming in Clean'
> >describes IO, and is more like a tutorial for novices.
> >
> >You can get both these documents from the Clean web site.
> >
> >Also, if you want wade through academic stuff, page 152 of the
> >language report lists papers written about Clean IO. You can
> >probably get some of these from the Clean web site (but I've
> >never tried).
>
> I have already replied the following to Paulo Alfredo, but ofcourse
forgot to forward it to you all :-). Here is my reply:

> The following paper is probably what you are looking for:
>
> Achten, P.M. and Plasmeijer, M.J. 1995
> The ins and outs of Clean I/O.
> In: Journal of Functional Programming 5(1) - January 1995, Cambridge
University Press, pp.81-110.

> If you have trouble obtaining the journal there is also an electronic
version available. It is not exactly the same; it is slightly adapted as it
appeared in my PhD Thesis. You can it obtain it via:

> anonymous ftp:
> ftp.cs.kun.nl/pub/CSI/SoftwEng.FunctLang/papers/achp96-thesis2.ps.gz
>
> or via WWW:
> http://www.cs.kun.nl/~peter88/PeterThesisFTP.html
> select the link: 2 Single Interactive Functional Programs
>

> >Unfortunately, these both describe the old Version 0.8 library.
> >I don't think there is any documentation available yet for the
> >Object IO library, so I've decided to keep using Version 0.8.
> >I think you should do the same if all you're doing is evaluating
> >Clean.
> A paper about the Object I/O library has appeared in the Proceedings of
the 9th International Workshop on Implementation of Functional Languages,
St.Andrews, Scotland, September 10th-12th, 1997. The proceedings are now
being published by Springer, but I don't know the LNCS number yet. This
information should be available real soon. In any case, you can contact one
of the editors:

> Chris Clack (University College London)
>     e-mail: C.Clack@cs.ucl.ac.uk
> Tony Davie (University of St.Andrews)
>     e-mail: ad@dcs.st-and.ac.uk
> Kevin Hammond (University of St.Andrews)
>     e-mail: kh@dcs.st-and.ac.uk
>
> Greetings,

When will the new (Object) I/O library be ready for windows platforms ?
I looked on the site but found no date.
What are the main differences between the 0.8 Library and the Object
Library?
	Greetings,
	Koen