Martin's Miscs

Chris Uppal Chris.Uppal@ait.co.uk
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 09:44:28 +0000

If this sort of idea is popular, then I'd suggest adding one more kind of
pre-defined annotation:  some sort of comment format which is defined for use by
and only by software.  The format should include a manadatory field to identify
the software which uses it (since there might be more than one).  IDEs would,
naturally, recognise and conceal all these tags from the user, and would only
interpret the ones that were appropriate to that IDE.

The lack of such a language-level feature complicates either the user-interface
or the implementation of all the IDEs I know for any language.

    -- chris

Subject:    Martin's Miscs
Author: Matthew Lye <mlye@trentu.ca>
Date:       02/02/98 13:33
[SNIP]
  An even nicer idea, which insofar as I can see would be easy to
implement, would be to have the Clean parser ignore HTML, XML, SGML,
CSS[1..], or DSSSL mark-up.  These all depend on <...> braces.  (It would
be good if the editor could optionally do this).  This would involve a
quick-and-dirty pre-parser that simply strips the tags.  Needless to say,
this would strike a blow on behalf of literate programing, would
facilitate the description, presentantion, and sharing of Clean code via
the web, and would set us all on a path towards the easy implementation
of luxurious, word-processor type XML/SGML Clean editors, replete with
display and parsing functions.
[SNIP]