Martin's Miscs

Matthew Lye mlye@trentu.ca
Tue, 3 Feb 98 11:06:40 -0500

On 2/3/1998 04:59 AM, Andrew Butterfield wrote:

>A suggestion made to me was to write a script to preprocess my literate
>scripts and strip out comments and code markers - the prob;em with this
>is that error location and correction becomes very difficult. The CleanIDE
>needs to handle the literate script itself, not a stripped down version.

This is a bleary-eyed early (ok, not so early) morning reply to the
thread in general.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one interested
by such possibilities.  I think the best approach would be to write a
pre-parser in clean that everyone on the list is happy with, and then
present it to the team.  Definitely on my list of things to try to do
once I have a better command of the language.  My first guess is that the
easiest course would be to recognize and extract the Clean code itself.

With regards to the problem introduced by Andrew (Mr/Dr/Prof Butterfield)
above (which hadn't occurred to me), probably a simple list with position
relevant to code-line number and content integer relevant to file
line-number generated at parse-time could ease the integration...perhaps
that's too much of a kludge.

I haven't had enough time awake to check out Wolfram's links or fully
understand Chris' proposal.  My apologies for the preconscious post.

Matt.