[FieldTrip] Information about MANOVA function

Davide Simeone davide.simeone at polimi.it
Mon May 27 19:48:06 CEST 2024

Dear community,
I would like to ask a theoretical question. In the ‘ft_statfun_depsamplesFmultivariate’ function, the statistic computation is made by a for cycle on each sample, that would correspond, in a classical problem following the tutorial ‘Cluster-based permutation tests on time-frequency data’, to a ‘time frequency channel’ value, in the most complex case. In a within subject experiment, I would think about each of these values as dependent variables (but maybe I’m already wrong here). Assuming that my previous affirmation is correct, I don’t understand
-why an F-score is obtained for each dependent variable;
-why the other dependent variables are not included in this computation.
In simpler words, it seems that the function acts as doing multiple ANOVA tests, instead of a multivariate one. My comprehension of these statistics tests is limited, so I could be wrong about the assumptions that I have done, but I would like to improve my understanding and be clarified even more if that is the case.
Greetings,
Davide