[FieldTrip] delays on computing server

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Mar 10 08:48:40 CET 2023

Hoi Roy,

The compute server sounds like an interesting use case. Are you using mathworks’ parallel server functionality for this? We have recently started exploring and documenting a bit the possibilities for using matlab’s parallel processing tools in FieldTrip, in collaboration with Mathworks and Vortech<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.vortech.nl__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!-ld--Q_DRiwfhl22L94A2cbFEL4iDJa8LCyV2Ls36yIpVS1PQUwCeJr2qhHPVca3kmUF9i5SbYThi2-qSoZrd5IhA5p_cPqJGO001A$ > . Please see https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/tutorial/distributedcomputing_parfor/__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!-ld--Q_DRiwfhl22L94A2cbFEL4iDJa8LCyV2Ls36yIpVS1PQUwCeJr2qhHPVca3kmUF9i5SbYThi2-qSoZrd5IhA5p_cPp0n-bR4w$  for some initial documentation. We would be very happy to receive insights/use cases/best practices/tips ’n tricks from the FieldTrip users, to be documented on the website as well.

Now, regarding to your question, I don’t have a pasklaar answer, but I would start with profiling the execution of the slow functions: this will give you an indication which lines take most time to execute, so that you can tweak (if possible) the ‘overhead’-options. Typing ‘help profile’ and ‘help profview’ should get you started.

Met groet,
Jan-Mathijs