[FieldTrip] delays on computing server

Roy Cox roycox.roycox at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 15:07:52 CET 2023

hello all,

We recently started batching EEG analyses, involving FieldTrip code, on a
computing server (essentially a big Windows workstation).

Mostly great, but I've noticed that there are sometimes lengthy delays
(tens of seconds) when executing a FieldTrip command.

Possibly related, I sometimes see warnings like these:

*Warning: could not send tracker information for "startup"*

It's all very poorly reproducible: the exact same script operating on the
same recording sometimes runs fast and sometimes takes forever.

One reason I can think of is that this has something to do with FieldTrip
trying to send some information to its developers for tracking purposes,
but perhaps this isn't suitable for a computing server running many jobs in
parallel.

Supposing that's indeed the issue: is there a way to disable any and all
communication attempts by FieldTrip to the outside world? I looked at
ft_defaults but not sure which options to choose.

And any other suggestions as to what might be going on are welcome of
course.

Best,
Roy