[FieldTrip] delays on computing server

Roy Cox roycox.roycox at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 11:47:15 CET 2023

hi Jan-Mathijs,

Yes, we're using Matlab's parallel computing toolbox, and our computing
server provides regular gui-based interactive Matlab (no job scheduling
etc). I've generally set up code such that a recording is processed by a
"recording-level" function, taking a custom cfg as input that specifies all
kinds of things that happen inside the function (e.g., filepaths, channels
to read, flags for rereferencing and filtering, and so on). Then there's a
"group-level" script that either uses a regular for loop across recordings
(allowing breakpoints), or a parfor loop with each of however many workers
you have taking care of one recording (at the expense of no/few debugging
options). As I'm sure you know, there's some tinkering required with
declaring variables to accommodate correct parfor behavior, but once set up
it's relatively easy to switch from serial to parallel and back if e.g.
recording 37 randomly fails and you need to step through the code.

Anyway, I had hoped to avoid the profiling route, also because parallel
profiling is yet another thing (mpiprofile), but I can look into it. Are
you sure there's no crude way to turn off all FT communication? If that
would work, at least I'd know that my issue is in fact related to FT (and
not something more general with Matlab and/or the server configuration).

Side note: I'm mostly using SleepTrip, but I see the same behavior when
using a recent version of FT.

Best,
Roy