[FieldTrip] Calculating single PLI value for a frequency band

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Apr 4 09:04:10 CEST 2022

Hi Avi,

PLI, like any other connectivity metric needs to be computed across some unit-of-observation in order for it to make sense.
In FieldTrip, the  UOs for connectivity analysis are always considered to be the trial dimension.

In other words, no there is no way to compute a PLI for an individual trial (although you could get a ‘proxy’ for the single trial PLI by computing a so-called pseudo value, which from the top of my head (but please look this up to be sure) is computed as: N*PLI(all) - (N-1)*PLI(loo), where PLI(avg) is the PLI computed across all repetitions, and PLI(loo) is the PLI computed using a leave-one-out strategy. You may also have a look at this paper: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25917516/ or this one: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17569862/

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs