[FieldTrip] Question of cluster based permutation test

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 13:28:47 CET 2021

I don't believe you automatically need to apply a correction just because
you're making several comparisons against the same standard. The important
issue is whether these multiple comparisons are testing the same research
question. If all of these are testing the same question, and getting a
significant result on any one of them would allow you to say "yes, my
theory was right!", then you would need to correct accordingly. (This is
the reason correction for multiple comparisons is needed with ERP data in
the first place; if you perform a t-test at every millisecond and getting a
significant result at any particular sample would let you say "look, I got
an MMN!", then that would cause a big multiple comparisons problem.)
However, if they are testing distinct questions then, as far as I
understand, correction isn't necessary.

---
Stephen Politzer-Ahles
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies
http://www.polyu.edu.hk/cbs/sjpolit/