[FieldTrip] Unable to mask sub-threshold statistics when plotting with ft_sourceplot

Aabedi, Alexander Alexander.Aabedi at ucsf.edu
Tue Nov 17 20:00:57 CET 2020

Hi FieldTrip community!

My name is Alex Aabedi. I'm a medical student at the University of California San Francisco researching speech responses in patients with brain tumors undergoing invasive electrophysiology. I'm very excited and grateful to be joining the FieldTrip ecosystem to perform our analyses.

I'm having trouble masking the subthreshold t-statistics I derived from ft_freqstatistics with ft_sourceplot. It appears that ft_sourceplot is ignoring the cfg.maskparameter call altogether (for instance, I don't get an error even if I specify a non-existent field in my stats structure). It looks like a colleague asked a similar question back in 2015 (https://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2015-February/008924.html) but I don't see a response.

Here's a snippet of the code used to generate the sourceplot. It works fine, except it doesn't mask the channels with 0s in the mask field. The 'stats' structure (and all subfields) in the ft_sourceplot call is directly from ft_freqstatistics. I also tried masking with a dummy mask with all zeros, but to no avail.

cfg              = [];

cfg.funparameter = 'stat';

cfg.maskparameter = 'mask';

cfg.funcolormap = 'jet';

cfg.funcolorlim  = [-4 4];

cfg.method       = 'surface';

cfg.interpmethod = 'sphere_weighteddistance';

cfg.sphereradius = 8;

cfg.camlight     = 'no';

ft_sourceplot(cfg, stats, mesh);

view([-90 20]);