[FieldTrip] Error with ft_prepare_headmodel

Kara Farrar karafarrar at icloud.com
Wed Jul 1 12:53:01 CEST 2020

Hi Everyone,

When running ft_prepare_headmodel I have been getting the following error for a couple of participants:
"Error using ft_prepare_headmodel (line 279) the compartment nesting cannot be determined”.
I have plotted the meshes (Brain, CSF, Skull, Scalp) for these participants (ft_plot_mesh), and it seems that the error only occurs for subjects where the scalp mesh appears to have the skull inside.
I tried improving the contrast of the MRI on FSL (using fast -B <filename>), and running decouplesurf several times to check whether any of the layers are overlapping, but this hasn’t resolved the problem. I have also tried removing the indices where the skull and scalp overlap. However, this resulted in the scalp disappearing entirely, leaving only the skull behind.
I was wondering whether anyone had experienced similar issues? I have been unable to find anything similar online.

Thank you in advance,

Kara