[FieldTrip] Quick question about depsamplesregrT

Eelke Spaak e.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 8 07:38:08 CEST 2020

Dear Kyoungeun,

If your code is exactly as you posted, specifically these lines:

design(2,1:subj) = 1; design(2,subj+1:2*subj)= 2; design(2,2*subj+1:3*subj)= 3;
stat = ft_freqstatistics(cfg, High, Low, No);

then yes, indeed, you are correct (and my last sentence was wrong,
sorry). I'm assuming you are dealing with an ordinal variable (or
discrete numeric) coded as No/Low/High. It might help if you swap
around the order of variables like so:

stat = ft_freqstatistics(cfg, No, Low, High);

which would result in perhaps more easily interpretable directions of
effects (avoiding "double negatives").

Another brief word of caution (which you may already be aware of, but
just to be sure): even if you find a significant positive/negative
cluster, this of course does not necessarily mean that high > low AND
low > no (or vice versa, or even one of those). It just means there is
a positive/negative trend, which could be caused by high > no and low
== high or low == no, or something like that. To make the more
specific tests of high > low etc.,would require pairwise comparisons
(e.g. depsamplesT).

Best,
Eelke