[FieldTrip] mesh realignment

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Apr 14 08:35:41 CEST 2020

Dear Natalie,

I am not sure whether I understand the reason why you would want this. Could you explain why you think you’d need to ‘align’ the meshes in 3D space?

Typically, when doing a cortical mesh based source reconstruction, while at the same time using information from an (anatomical) that’s defined on a cortical mesh, the game would be to have the topologies of the meshes aligned, and not the exact position of the geometric objects. In other words, the goal (and recommended approach) is to use surface based registration techniques (and possibly re-tessellation) to have a one-to-one correspondence of the vertices in both meshes.

If, however, you insist on doing a 3D alignment using icp (and assuming that it worked), you can apply the affine matrix to the mesh using the ft_transform_geometry function.

I would not try to do an intermediate interpolation to 3D space.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs