[FieldTrip] Working with xdf files

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Aug 27 09:15:56 CEST 2019

Dear Varghese,

In general, I think that workarounds should be avoided as much as possible, unless one wants to achieve something very exotic.

In your case, it seems that the required functionality is something that more people might benefit from, in which case a generic/principled solution would be in order.

This would mean that xdf2fieldtrip should be made smarter so that it also returns the events. The ’streams’ are read in using the lower level load_xdf function (located in external/xdf), but at the moment only the continuous data is returned. What you need to do is to write some code that can extract event information from the discontinuous stream (ideally in a fieldtrip compatible event-structure), and pass this as an output to the function.
Once the code is up and running, we’d be happy to receive a pull request on github, so that other users can benefit from this functionality!

Thanks and happy computing.

Jan-Mathijs