[FieldTrip] extracting spikes from new

Teresa Madsen tmadsen at emory.edu
Mon Jan 30 17:30:30 CET 2017

Suzanne,
I think it may be a simple error in the way you formatted the inputs to
that command.  According to the help comments at the beginning of the
function:

% Use as
%  [spike] = ft_read_spike(filename, ...)
%
% Additional options should be specified in key-value pairs and can be
%   'spikeformat' = string, described the fileformat (default is automatic)

I don't see any other input arguments being used, so I'm assuming your 1st
argument is the filename and guessing your 3rd argument is its location?
If so, the correct format would be:

>> [rec1] = ft_read_spike('/Users/username/Documents/export/test.nex');

Including the .nex extension in the filename will allow ft_filetype to
automatically detect the format as 'plexon_nex', so you don't need to
specify a spikeformat, but if that doesn't work for some reason, I believe
the correct formatting (what is meant by key-value pairs) would be:

>> [rec1] = ft_read_spike('test', 'spikeformat', 'plexon_nex’);

If neither of those work, I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this
further, as I also use Plexon for data acquisition, have been working on
improving FieldTrip's NEX handling, and will be moving into spike analysis
soon.

Let me know if that helps.
~Teresa

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Suzanne van der Veldt <
suzannevdveldt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Sorry to trouble you. I am excited to get starting with using FieldTrip
> for my data analysis, using in vivo ephys data recorded with plexon. I have
> my sorted spikes in .nex format. Unfortunately, field trip does not seem to
> be able to import my data.
>
> >> [rec1] = ft_read_spike('test', 'plexon_nex', '/Users/username/Documents/
> export’)
> Error using ft_read_spike (line 276)
> unsupported data format (unknown
>
> The .nex file is a regular file. I am running Matlab R2015b from Mac OSx
> Sierra 10.12.2.
>
> I hope someone might be able to give me a hint of what might be the
> problem.
>
> Kind regards,
> Suzanne van der Veldt
>
> PhD student McGill & Université de Bordeaux

Teresa E. Madsen, PhD
Division of Behavioral Neuroscience and Psychiatric Disorders
Yerkes National Primate Research Center
Emory University
Rainnie Lab, NSB 5233
954 Gatewood Rd. NE