[FieldTrip] Statistical test of robustness of a graph measure based on reduced amount of nodes

Matt Gerhold matt.gerhold at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 13:31:40 CEST 2016

Hi Son,

What you are explaining sounds like resampling to build a distribution
under the null hypothesis. You would need to make sure that your random
draws are representative in some way of an instance where the test
statistic (graph theoretic measure) is truly zero, i.e. representative of
the null hypothesis. There is no info on your measure, so one can't comment
any further on how one would achieve this.

Once you have the bootstrapped distribution you compute the proportion of
values above the test statistic and those below the test statistic--the
test statistic is the measure you got from the actual sample, not the
bootstrapped distribution.

Then it depends whether you use a two-tail or one-tail test and the
direction of the hypothesized effect: for a one-tail test you could
potentially take the proportion of the distribution above equal to the test
statistic, that would be your p-value. For two tailed-tests take the min
value of the two-proportions as your p-value and remember to divide alpha
by 2 to test for significance.

That, in a nutshell, is a simple approach; however, there are other ways to
go about this.

Matthew