[FieldTrip] Automatized artifact rejection in FT

Herring, J.D. (Jim) j.herring at donders.ru.nl
Wed Nov 18 14:14:21 CET 2015

Hi Ricarda,

All three criteria have a certain threshold that has to be met in order for a trial to be marked as containing artifacts so for all criteria you could use ft_artifact_threshold (or ft_artifact_zvalue). The difference will be how you preprocess the signal. You would need to transform the signal so that for criteria nr. 2 the signal represents the potential difference over a 200ms window?, and for nr. 3 the potential difference per sampling point.

Number 3 is relatively easy, you can calculate the first temporal derivative (ie. the difference between two consecutive samples) with cfg.artfctdef.threshold.derivative = ‘yes’ (or ….threshold.absdiff = ‘yes’, if you want the absolute difference). So something like this should work:

cfg.artfctdef.threshold.channel   = cell-array with channel labels
cfg.artfctdef.threshold.bpfilter  = 'no';
cfg.artfctdef.threshold.absdiff = ‘yes’;
cfg.artfctdef.threshold.max       = 50;

Number 2 is slightly more difficult because you want to integrate over a larger window. I don’t fully understand what you want to avoid, should the signal at time X stay within 3uV of the signal at time X + 200ms?

Best,

Jim