[FieldTrip] Connectivity comparison across conditions

Jose Rebola jrebola at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 13:31:53 CEST 2015

Hi Jan,

Regarding the time-resolved PLV, isn't it different to do it with
mtmconvol, which in my view provides a TFR, than with a time signal based
on the Hilbert transform which estimates instantaneous phase.

My doubt is that the time-resolved PLV will need three or four cycles for
good spectral estimation, and two things can happen:
1 - I analyse non-overlapping chunks and get a low number of time-points.
2 - I analyse highly overlapping segments and thus a lot of PLV estimations
but not really independent from each other and therefore biasing the
comparison to other conditions

With the Hilbert derived transform I would theoretically have as many
independent estimates of the PLV, right?

Is there a caveat in my line of thought? I might be missing something
here...

Thanks,

Jose Rebola