[FieldTrip] Creating a head model using OPENMEEG - Intersecting mesh error

Roey Schurr roeysc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 12:21:36 CET 2014

Dear fieldtrippers,

I am writing you after encountering an error using the  OPENMEEG method for
creating a head model, which I need for source reconstruction of EEG data
(using 19 electrodes), e.g.:
      triangles 5018 and 5129 are intersecting
      triangles 5305 and 5781 are intersecting
      triangles 5879 and 5907 are intersecting
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      !!!!!!!!!!! WARNING !!!!!!!!!!!
      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Mesh is self intersecting !
      2 meshes are intersecting !

It seems to be the same problem reported by Olivia about two years ago:
http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2012-March/004881.html

In what follows I will describe the main steps in my script:

1) I create a segmented 'brain','skull','scalp' mri structure of the
subject:
      cfg.output = {'brain','skull','scalp'};
      [bss_segmentedmri] = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri);

2) I try using ft_sourceanalysis

3) which in turn tries to compute the leadfield using ft_compute_leadfield
through ft_leadfield_openmeeg.

yes this doesn't work, and I get the following error:
      Error using fprintf
      Invalid file identifier.  Use fopen to generate a valid file
identifier.

      Error in ft_leadfield_openmeeg (line 112)
      fprintf(fid,'%s\t%.15f\t%.15f\t%.15f\n', sens.label{ii},
sens.chanpos(ii,:));

Since it is crucial that I use a realistic head model, do you have any
suggestions?

Thank you, and have a nice week,

roey