[FieldTrip] Mesh intersecting BEM headmodel

Micheli, C. c.micheli at fcdonders.ru.nl
Wed Mar 14 21:48:42 CET 2012

Dear Olivia, The documentation you are referring to is not up-to-date and I would not recommend to rely on it. Notwithstanding the old documentation, the problem that you encounter is a known issue with the automatic generation of triangulated surfaces. In fact, the surfaces created from any volumetric data (anatomical MRI or segmentations) should be topologically correct for the BEM to work correctly and at the moment FieldTrip does not check for this (we are working currently on this topic). If you plan to use a head model with 3 compartments I would recommend to start with the function ft_prepare_headmodel, and work with concentric spheres.You can call it like this: cfg=[]; cfg.method = 'concentricspheres'; bnd = ft_prepare_headmodel(cfg,seg) The variable seg is the output of ft_volume_segment containing the skin, skull, brain compartments as and you can refer to the standard documentation for this function: http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/headmodel This should automatically solve in most of the cases the problem of intersecting or self-intersecting surfaces. If you want to use the openmeeg toolbox with realistic head models the analysis is complicated by the non-correctness of the surfaces topologies, due probably to the outcome of the segmentation and the successive triangulation step (which happens within the ft_prepare_bemmodel function, now obsolete). The generation of the meshes might work straight away also with the realistic segmented compartments, but it would be difficult to visually check for surface correctness (for example by using the ft_plot_mesh function). When you have the three surfaces you can eventually attach them to your next mail, so that I can verify things with the prototype surface management functions, that we are developing/integrating (see http://code.google.com/p/fieldtrip/source). Let me know if this helps Cristiano ----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----