[FieldTrip] Problem with visualizing individual minimum source activity (ft_plot_mesh, ft_sourcemovie, ft_sourceplot)

Maximilian Bruchmann Maximilian.Bruchmann at uni-muenster.de
Mon Oct 22 16:19:33 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I found the error in my code and I like to describe it in case someone else makes the same mistake:
First of all, ft_plot_mesh and ft_sourcemovie are perfectly fine, and so is the minimum norm tutorial, as far as I can tell. My error was that I misinterpreted a part of the help section of ft_sourceanalysis,  where it says:

% Besides the source positions, you may also include previously computed
% spatial filters and/or leadfields like this
%   cfg.grid.filter
%   cfg.grid.leadfield

so I wrote
cfg.grid.leadfield = leadfield;

This is wrong. It has to be:
cfg.grid = leadfield;

just as described in the tutorial.
Sorry for the false alarm!

Best,
Max

Am 18.10.2012 um 15:55 schrieb Maximilian Bruchmann <Maximilian.Bruchmann at uni-muenster.de>:

> Dear FieldTrippers,
>
> there used to be a very convenient way to get a look at individual mne source reconstructions using either ft_plot_mesh or ft_sourcemovie, but both no longer seem to work. When I follow the minimum norm estimate tutorial up to the point of visualization the code that worked fine some weeks ago now produces the following errors:
>
> cfg=[];
> cfg.method = 'mne';
> cfg.grid.leadfield = leadfield;
> cfg.vol = vol;
> cfg.mne.lambda = 1e11;
> myMne = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg,timeLock);
>
> bnd.pnt = sourcespace.pnt;
> bnd.tri = sourcespace.tri;
> m=myMne.avg.pow(:,450);
> ft_plot_mesh(bnd, 'vertexcolor', m);
>
> produces the error:
> Error using ft_plot_mesh (line 191)
> Unknown color
>
> As it seems, 'vertexcolor' accepts only a single RGB triplet. In fact, none of the options of ft_plot_mesh seems to support the visualization of functional data anymore, am I right?
>
> The other way using ft_sourcemovie used to work fine like this:
>

> figure
> myMne.tri = sourcespace.tri;
> cfg = [];
> cfg.alim = [0 8e-14];
> cfg.zlim = [0 4e-13];
> cfg.maskparameter = 'avg.pow';
> ft_sourcemovie(cfg,myMne);
>

> But now it produces the warning
> Warning: Values in patch Faces must be in [1 : rows(Vertices)] - not rendering
> and I get an empty figure window.
>
> I tried ft_sourceplot:
>
> cfg              = [];
> cfg.method       = 'surface';
> cfg.funparameter = 'avg.pow';
> ft_sourceplot(cfg,myMne);
>
> but irrespective of the method I get
> Error using ft_sourceplot (line 188)
> the input data needs to be defined on a regular 3D grid
>
> Any help on how I can view my source reconstruction results as a colored source space model would be very appreciated!
> Thanks in advance!
> Best,
> Max

Dr. phil. Maximilian Bruchmann, Dipl. Psych.
Institut für Biomagnetismus und Biosignalanalyse
Universitätsklinikum Münster

Adresse:    Malmedyweg 15
                 48149 Münster
                 Telefon:    +49-(0)251-83-52547