[FieldTrip] Frequency smoothing for beamforming

Yoni Levy yoniilevy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 11:56:46 CEST 2012

Hi Stephen!
Thanks for your reply.

My FOI is 29-31Hz; Since my time window is of 300ms, then my freq smoothing
should now be of +/-3.33Hz. If I use a hanning taper, the parameters that i
use for the freqanal (for further on doing beamformer-statistics) are:
        cfg.method ='mtmfft';
        cfg.output ='fourier';
        cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';
        cfg.keeptapers = 'yes';
        cfg.taper = 'hanning';
        cfg.foilim = [29 31];
However, if I get it right, multitapering should also be an option as 30Hz
is not a relatively very low frequency. In that case, i remove the hanning
and instead include a cfg.tapsmofrq =8, so that the number of tapers
results in 8*0.3*2-1= 3 (I think?). Is it so?

Also, about the time window which is theoretically 300ms, but i think this
depends on the length of every trial; for instance, before freqanal, when i
redefine the trial, i input cfg.minlength = 'maxperlen'. So if i alter
that, the freq smoothing should be different as well, correct? Ye, anyway,
I wonder how to optimize all those parameters for my source localization
statistics.

Thanks in advance,

Yoni