[FieldTrip] Frequency smoothing for beamforming

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 15:47:21 CEST 2012

Hi Yoni,

Indeed, a simple hanning taper will  already give you a frequency smoothing
of +/- 3Hz. Adding tapers can only increase this, and I don't see why you
would beamform 22 to 38 Hz if you are interested between in 29-31 Hz.
Couldn't you just do cfg.foi = 30, with cfg.taper = 'hanning', giving you a
measure of power between of about 27 and 33?

You're right that having different trial lenghts will indeed give you a
different frequency resolution per trial. If this is a problem is hard to
say from here. cfg.minlength = 'maxperlen in ft_redefinetrial would indeed
make sure they are all of the same length (i.e. the maximal length) - but
if that is different between subjects/conditions that might not be enough.

Best,
Stephen