[FieldTrip] Problem reading .mgz files

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jan 13 10:34:05 CET 2012

Hi Ion,

What operating system are you working on? It looks like windows, and the first error is a path error, where the function is looking at a Linux-style path.

This is apparently causing trouble. First you get two errors (starting with ERROR, which are a sign that something went wrong in the low level reading routines), which do not cause matlab to 'crash' directly. Later in the code variables are not what they are expected to be (due to the earlier ERRORs) and this causes a matlab crash (in red).

So far this whole pipeline has been tested only on the linux platform. I don't know whether freesurfer (in particular the matlab functions that FieldTrip relies on to read in the .mgz files) runs without problems on windows.
Perhaps you first need to find out what causes the first error. It could well be that FieldTrip needs to use a platform specific reading routine here.

BW,

JM

On Jan 13, 2012, at 10:00 AM, Ion Lavado wrote:

> Hello, i'm trying source reconstruction using Minimum-Norm Estimates and i have a problem when reading the (filled.mgz) or any other .mgz file after using Freesurfer and created the files.
> This is the ERROR i get:
>

> >> mri=ft_read_mri('F:\SUBJECT29_BUENO\Subject29\mri\filled.mgz');
> The system cannot find the path specified.
> ERROR: could not open /tmp/tmp7914012.mgh for reading
> ERROR: loading F:\SUBJECT29_BUENO\Subject29\mri\filled.mgz as MGH
> ??? Attempt to reference field of non-structure array.
> Error in ==> ft_read_mri at 248
>   ndims = numel(size(tmp.vol));
>
> Hope anyone can help me. Thanks!

Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD

Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,

Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands

J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Telephone: +31-24-3614793