[FieldTrip] Missing resolution Information in *vhdr causes ft_preprocessing to return only NaNs

Karch, Julian karch at mpib-berlin.mpg.de
Tue Jan 24 23:54:12 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm working on a brainvision EEG dataset  which was preprocessed by someone else using Brainvision Analyzer. One part of his preprocessing was to set a new reference. This processing step makes the resolution information in the *vhdr file disappear. Because of that hdr.orig.resolution=NaN for all channels.  As result of that the lines
                calib = diag(hdr.resolution(chanindx));
      % using a sparse multiplication speeds it up
      dat = full(sparse(calib) * dat);
in read_brainvision_eeg produce only NaN. This again results in trials which only contain NaNs.

I do weekly updates of fieldtrip using svn. Because I'm quite sure if was able to read in, using ft_preprocssing, the excact same dataset, even with the same cfg file, earlier this year I checked the modifications for the last half year or so but I couldn't find any change which could have broken it.
My two questions are. How would you handle this problem? Just plug in some random numbers like 0.1 ? Is this an issue with fieldtrip or am I doing something wrong? Were there any changes to the involved functions which could have changed the behavior in that way?

Thanks in advance!

Best,

Julian

Julian Karch