t statistic of coherence difference between stimulus conditions

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at DONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Dec 1 08:57:53 CET 2009

Dear Dahlia,

Your question has been asked before, so it may be worthwile to browse
the archive of the mailing list a bit.
In short, the way to go depends on what you want:

1) Do you want to test for significance within a subject? Then it may
be worthwhile to have a look at Maris et al 2007 J.Neurosci.Methods.
Here we describe a way to test for significant coherence differences
using permutation tests.
2) If you want to test for significance across subjects (which I
generally prefer), I would compute the coherence difference per
subject and apply a Z-transformation to the difference. Subsequently I
do a permutation test across subjects. By randomly swapping the sign
of the Z-transformed difference you obtain a distribution under the
null-hypothesis, i.e. no difference in coherence across subjects. (for
a formulation of the z-statistic you can have a look at the Maris
paper).

Both options are possible in fieldtrip, but it may require some coding
yourself.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

On 1 Dec 2009, at 00:33, Dahlia Sharon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since the coherence spectrum is different from the power spectrum in
> not
> being a simple average over trials, I am wondering how the point-by-
> point
> statistic should be calculated. I.e. does it make sense to take the
> difference in coherence between the two conditions and divide by the
> standard error?
>
> A shorter version of this question is: how does one test for a
> statistically
> significant coherence difference between two stimulus conditions in
> fieldtrip?
>
> Thanks,
> Dahlia.

> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users
> of the FieldTrip  toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new
> ideas for MEG and EEG analysis. See also http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html
>  and http://www.ru.nl/neuroimaging/fieldtrip.

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,