[clean-list] Re: Any scheduled release data for Clean 2.3?

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Nov 7 08:04:18 MET 2008

Benjamin L. Russell:

> It seems rather strange that although Clean is very fast, it does not
> seem used very much in comparison with such other functional languages
> as Haskell and Scheme.
>
> Although this has been discussed on this mailing list before, one
> possible reason that I can think of is the lack of an interactive
> environment, which tends to be more important with an
> academically-oriented functional language than with an
> industry-oriented one.  In many other functional languages that are
> widely used, such as Haskell, Scheme, OcaML, and Erlang, the presence
> of a REPL encourages so-called "exploratory programming," ...

What about Java and C++? Not so interactive, and still quite popular.

All you say is quite convincing. I would enjoy a REPL in Clean.
Still, I think that the main reason of the relative (un)popularity of
a programming language, Clean, or other, is the *human policy*, not the
language itself. Clean is not so visible at ICFP and some other
conferences (POPL?), and I won't continue, since all this has been
discussed a few times.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Jerzy Karczmarczuk