[clean-list] Rebranding Clean

Philippos Apolinarius phi500ac at yahoo.ca
Mon Feb 11 14:50:09 MET 2008

I do not know much about Quechua. However, I know that genetic engineers used a word of this beautifully sounding language to name a DNA base (yes I have been taking classes in Life Sciences, in order to get College admittance). However, I know that Quechuas love knames that are sentences, or part of sentences. For instance, a very popular female name is IMASUMAX,  which means "What is beauty". Of course, the sister of "What is beauty?" can be "Beauty is...". Isn't it cute?

"Benjamin L. Russell" <dekudekuplex at yahoo.com> wrote: >  From the proposed names I could only imagine
> something like "KireiWa".
> Though native English and Japanese speakers should
> check that it does
>  not sound funny and whether it makes sense :-D

No, "KireiWa" would sound very strange as a name,
because the phoneme "wa" doubles as a static verb
having approximately the same meaning as "is" in
English, so, to a Japanese speaker, this would sound
like "Beautiful is ...." without the rest of the
sentence in Japanese.

Regarding similar names, though, there is a functional
programming language called "Qi"
(http://www.lambdassociates.org/aboutqi.htm).  The
term, meaning "life force"/"spiritual energy"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi), is used effectively
in connection with the force of expression of the
lambda calculus related with this language.
Therefore, I think that a similar alternative name for
Clean could be a good substitute.

Other terms that I can think of are the following:

* Wabi-sabi
This term (http://c2.com/w4/wikibase/?WabiSabi) would
not sound strange in Japanese, especially when
juxtaposed with the associated Kanji ("侘寂") and an
illustration of a Japanese tea house
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2002_kenrokuen_hanami_0123.jpg).
 It is a Japanese literary term referring to "a
comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic
centered on the acceptance of transience."  In
referring to a sense of aesthetics, it would seem
related to the original name, "Clean."

* Ki (the Japanese equivalent of the Chinese term
"Qi")

* Satori (enlightenment) "æ‚Ÿã‚Š"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satori)

* Gaia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis)
("[a hypothesis that] living and nonliving parts of
the earth are viewed as a complex interacting system
that can be thought of as a single organism")

Other non-related alternative names that I can think
of are the following:

* Fugue (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugue)
(a type of contrapuntal composition or technique of
composition for a fixed number of parts, normally
referred to as "voices", irrespective of whether the
work is vocal or instrumental:  Johann Sebastian Bach
composed a six-part fugue.)

I can't think of any more names right now; I may be
able to come up with something else later.

Benjamin L. Russell

--- Peter Hercek

(http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/history-of-haskell/history.pdf),

http://pc11.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/tech/1128011645/42-142).