[clean-list] Rebranding Clean

Benjamin L. Russell dekudekuplex at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 12:26:45 MET 2008

Here are some of my original suggestions for a new
name for Concurrent Clean:

* Curry

* Clean Curry

* Godel (in reference to Kurt Godel, a logician from
Austria-Hungary)

* Escher (in reference to M. C. Escher, a Dutch
graphic artist with a mathematical approach to artwork
creation)

* Bach (in reference to J. S. Bach, a German
composer/organist who composed a six-part fugue)

* Kirei (a Japanese term for "beautiful/clean")

* Wa (a Japanese term for "peace/balance/total")

* Bi (a Japanese term for "beauty")

* Quantum

* Russell (in reference to Bertrand Russell, a British
logician)

* Cantor (in reference to Georg Cantor, a German
mathematician)

* Whitehead (in reference to Alfred North Whitehead, a
British logician)

* Wittgenstein (in reference to Ludwig Wittgenstein,
an Austrian philosopher)

* Turing (in reference to Alan Turing, an English
mathematician, logician, and cryptographer)

* Church (in reference to Alonzo Church, an American
mathematician and logician)

* Perlis (in reference to Alan Perlis, an American
computer scientist)

* Nijmegen (the city in The Netherlands where Software
Technology Research Group, the makers of Concurrent
Clean, are located)

* von Neumann (in reference to John von Neumann, a
Hungarian mathematican who developed the von Neumann
architecture)

* Euclid (in reference to Euclid of Alexandria, a
Greek mathematician of the Hellenistic period)

* Socrates (in reference to a classical Greek
philosopher of the same name, who created the Socratic
Method)

Just for fun, may I also (somewhat facetiously)
suggest the following names, since they concern a
scientist from a different field (physics) who is
often associated with creativity and imagination:

* Einstein (in reference to Albert Einstein, a
German-born theoretical physicist)

* Lieserl (in reference to Lieserl Einstein, Albert
Einstein's daughter)

* Mileva (in refernce to Mileva Maric, Albert
Einstein's wife)

On another note, in the paper "A History of Haskell:
Being Lazy With Class"
(http://research.microsoft.com/~simonpj/papers/history-of-haskell/history.pdf),
on the second column of page 4, a list of names that
were considered when naming Haskell is listed.  This
list could be useful when renaming Concurrent Clean.
Those names are as follows:

* Semla
* Haskell
* Vivaldi
* Mozart
* CFL (Common Functional Language)
* Funl 88
* Semlor
* Candle (Common Applicative Notation for Denoting
Lambda Expressions)
* Fun
* David
* Nice
* Light
* ML Nouveau (or Miranda Nouveau, or LML Nouveau, or
...)
* Mirabelle
* Concord
* LL
* Slim
* Meet
* Leval
* Curry
* Frege
* Peano
* Ease
* Portland
* Haskell B Curry

According to the report, after each participant then
crossed out a name that he disliked, the only name
left was "Curry."

However, two of the participants then realized that
they "would be left with a lot of curry puns (aside
from the spice, and the thought of currying favour,
the one that truly horrified [them] was Tim Curry--TIM
was John Fairbairn's abstract machine, and Tim Curry
was famous for playing the lead in the Rocky Horror
Picture Show).  So the next day, after some further
discussion, [they] settled on 'Haskell' as the name
for the new language.  Only later did [they] realise
that this was too easily confused with Pascal or
Hassle!"

Indeed, people in the United States often ask if I
mean "Pascal" when I say "Haskell," and it is easy to
confuse "hassle" and "hustle" (they sound exactly the
same in transliteration in Japanese) with "Haskell."
One reader suggested the following name

* Hackell

on a thread on the popular general Japanese discussion
forum "2 channel" (for those who can read Japanese,
the URL is
http://pc11.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/tech/1128011645/42-142).

As a last note, since "Clean" is an adjective, why not
the following adjective:

* Curried

Benjamin L. Russell

=== message truncated ===