[clean-list] Rebranding Clean

alex maskif at yahoo.com.au
Tue Feb 5 00:10:35 MET 2008

--- Pieter Koopman <pieter at cs.ru.nl> wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> the name Clean was chosen long before google was
> invented and dominated
> the world.

I certainly appreciate that.

> Using the search term "concurrent clean", the home
> page is the first
> link found by google. The same holds for "clean
> functional programming".

But I already know where clean's homepage is. I have
no idea if anyone else (outside academia) is seriously
using clean.

> I think adding a few search hints for google is more
> effective than a
> new name.

Then anyone that publishes info on Clean needs to
qualify it.

> Thanks for bringing this up anyway,

No problem. I'm not trying to be antagonistic, it's
just unfortunate that Clean goes for the most part
unnoticed.

I think it's a case of simple marketing. Presumably
you are operating as a business if you are offering
commercial licenses. As a business, I don't think it's
constructive to get sentimental about the image. My
guess is that any company in your position would
rebrand, revamp the website, and get as many people
using "the language formerly known as Clean" as
possible.

Cheers, Alex