[clean-list] mod function

Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 10:27:31 +0100

Jerzy Karczmarczuk writes (to the Clean Discussion list):

> But - unless I am mistaken -[mod] is still present in
> the modified  environment for Sparkle. Is it deliberate
> as well, or the system  development proceeded along two
> weakly communicating streams?

The latter. The Sparkle environment differs in two ways from
the Clean environment:
    - different definitions with identical semantics (for
      example non-accumulating reverse in Sparkle);
    - some extra eval functions in StdSparkle;
    - different semantics (the functions drop and take
      from StdList).

The Sparkle environment should be layered on top of the Clean
enviroment: it should only contain the modules in which it
differs.

The drop/take issue is a bit more controversial. My proposal
is to change both Clean's and Sparkle's definitions to the
Haskell equivalents: this means that they will be strict in
their integer argument (as in Clean) and have nicer properties
with negative arguments (as in Sparkle).

Apart from this, the Clean system and Sparkle are pretty
much in harmony. For example Sparkle now always uses the
same frontend as the Clean compiler and is compiled with
the latest Clean compiler.

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur