Compile times (was: [clean-list] mod function)

Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 11:42:44 +0100

Jerzy Karczmarczuk writes (to the Clean mailing list)::

> What happens, Seņores Commandantes? [The unpredictable
> compile time] is a little disturbing,  being irregular.

Sometimes updates for a project in the Windows IDE can take
very long. The IDE's compilation process is driven by events,
and occasionally null events don't get through to the IDE.
This situation is easily recognised and remedied: generate
some extra events by moving your mouse and the compilation
process will speed up.

Another factor for irregular behaviour is caching. I think
you would have noticed disk activity if the disk cache was
the explanation. The compiler caches imported dcl modules,
but only for the duration of one update and not between
two bring-up-to-dates.

I don't recognize the specific behaviour you're describing
(a long period of seeming inactivity, followed by frantic
compilation). If you observe this regularly, it would help
if you could open Task Manager > Processes, sort by CPU
time, and report to us which process is on top.

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur