[clean-list] mod function

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:19:27 +0100

Ronny Wichers Schreur wrote:
> Alves writes (to the Clean mailing list):
>
>> It looks like the instance of "mod" function is missing in the
>> StdInt on Clean 2.0.2 (Win version):
>

> Yes, that's deliberate. The mod function had the wrong semantics
> for negative arguments. We didn't just want to change the semantics
> and (perhaps silently) break things. That's why we removed it to
> signal the change to Clean programmers.

But - unless I am mistaken - it is still present in the modified
environment for Sparkle. Is it deliberate as well, or the system
development proceeded along two weakly communicating streams?

======================================

When I am already here, I pose a different question, just to calm my
spirits.

You say since the beginning that the Clean compiler has been optimized
for speed. However, recently I compiled some hundreds times some small
test programs, regretting truly that I don't have a Clean interactive
interpreter by hand...

Usually the compiler when it starts, it spends an inordinate amount of
time doing some administrative chores, initialization perhaps. Nothing
happens, even the disk remains quiet. After many seconds it starts its
febrile module checking, recompilation, producing diagnostics, etc.
Sometimes, when I do some correction to the program, this initial
period is *much* shorter, the compilation starts almost immediately.
And sometimes not...

What happens, Seņores Commandantes? Such behaviour is a little disturbing,
being irregular.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk