[clean-list] Some problems with strict lists

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:14:02 +0100

John van Groningen answers my query about StrictLists and about missing
parentheses in type report. Thank you very much.

> The StdStrictLists module is not included in the Clean 2.0 release. You can
> download the StdStrictLists ...

> The implementation of strict lists has not yet been tested very well. However
> there are currently no known bugs in the implementation of strict lists,
> except that unboxed lists are not yet printed as lists, and the StdEnv does
> not yet have functions that can use strict lists.

No problem with printing, etc.
But I think that everybody would agree that people working with lists and
saying: "Wonderful! I can now *really* optimize my program!" - and discovering
subsequently that (++) doesn't work, map, length neither, nor even indexing --
all because of type problems,
they may become emotionally destabilized, as I was...

Now.
Of course I can define (and I did) some private functions which mangle [! !] or
[# !] (although some discussion of the syntax in the report would help; I am
not even sure about the syntax of the empty list...)
but we risk to produce things not so compatible with what the Gurus are
planning.

Perhaps such functions as map, length etc. will be doubly overloaded, over the
list constructors as well?

Is there something to say here?

Thank you.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk