[clean-list] Generating textures in Clean

Marco Kesseler M.Kesseler@aia.nl
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 12:52:32 +0100

Date sent:      	Mon, 05 Nov 2001 10:18:54 +0100
From:           	Jerzy Karczmarczuk <karczma@info.unicaen.fr>
Subject:        	[clean-list] Generating textures in Clean

> I have a special offer for him. A Clean package which generates
> procedural textures. Something which has been partially inspired
> by Conal Elliot's PAN package (although I started earlier, and
> used my stuff just for teaching, having never written a single
> line of documentation...)

For Jerzy in particular:

Having drooled over the pictures in the documentation, and seeing
that one of the wishes is loading JPEG files, I am considering
having a look at your bmp handling code and building a JPEG-
>BMP converter from the JPEG decoder I already have. This
however only makes sense in case Clastic can deal with RGB
BMPs (which I am not sure of). Seems almost trivial in that case. I
am currently NOT considering implementation of colour reduction
(That, and the LZW patents are also the reason that the JPEG
decoder does not convert to GIF).

For Everybody:

I have encountered files that the JPEG decoder cannot (yet)
decode. Point is that there seems to be a gap between:
- the published standards (JPEG, JFIF).
- the reality.

One problem of reality is application specific markers. I do know a
tiny bit about some Adobe extensions, but virtually nothing about
others. If anyone has information about application-specific
markers in JPEG files (in particular the ones that say 'hey this is a
thumbnail', or 'hey this is the main picture'), please let me know,
and I will consider adding support for it. This shouldn't be too
difficult in general.

Another problem is that some baseline JPEG files do not even
seem to adhere to the standards (multiple SOI's without matching
EOI's - or I am misreading the standards). I am willing to add
heuristics.

And then, there are also non-baseline JPEG files. Well, then you
have run out of luck, unless you add the support yourself.

regards,
Marco
Aia                                     Phone: +31 24 371 02 30
PO Box 38025                            Fax:   +31 24 371 02 31
6503 AA Nijmegen                        Email: M.Kesseler@aia.nl
The Netherlands                         URL:   http://www.aia.nl
This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are adressed. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify
the postmaster (postmaster@aia.nl). The authenticity of this
message cannot, at this moment, be guaranteed by ourselves. For this
reason no legal rights may be granted should the contents differ to
the original sent message. The Aia log-file of sent messages is
deemed to be the sole, true transcript of communication unless the
contrary, other than the received message, can be proven.