[clean-list] Clean on Unix

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 13:19:53 +1300 (NZDT)

Martin Wierich <martinw@cs.kun.nl> wrote:

	Our policy is that Windows and MacOS are our "main" platforms
	and the Unixes are not, (although we have by far more Unix users
	than MacOS users).

Is that for real?  Clean has "by far more Unix users than MacOS users",
but Unix users count as third-rate citizens?

I mean to say, MacOS X *is* a Unix system (and a lot else besides).

	I agree.  If you ask us for reasons then you will hear that it's
	more work to support Unix as much as the main platforms.

With "by far more Unix users than MacOS users", how come MacOS counts
as a "main platform"?  It can't be that heap of cruft known as the
X Window System, can it?

With the pseudo-photo-realistic stuff that came in with MacOS 9 (like
the dreadful new Sherlock and other things), Apple seem to have lost the
user interface plot, at around the time that the Linux world is finally
getting somewhere.

For what it's worth, I have a Mac and am very thankful to have Clean on
it, because I *don't* have a high performance Haskell compiler for the Mac.
I don't suppose there's any chance of a Haskell-compatible front end for
Clean?