[clean-list] Clean on Unix

Martijn Vervoort martijnv@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:45:15 +0100

Hi,

In my mail from the 13th March, I have offered my help to support a port of
the
Object I/O-library to unix because there seems to be a demand for it. It is
the
only part of the Clean-system (and as a consequence the CleanIDE 2.0) not
available on unix machines.

In reply, the following message has been posted by Brian Rogoff on the
clean-list:

>To answer Martijn Vervoort, I see a port of Object IO to GTK and the
>GNOME environment as making the most sense at this time. I can volunteer
>to do some of the grunt work, since I am not familiar enough with the
>library (guess why not ;-) to take a lead position.

In addition Diederik van Arkel (from the Clean group, working on the
Object IO and IDE) has also offered help.

There is a rumour that a student is willing to do (part of) the port but I
cannot
confirm that.

The above describes the current situation concerning the object I/O port to
unix.

A first step towards an Object I/O-port is creating a language binding from
Clean to some gui-library. Possible resources:
    - the h to Clean 1.0-library could be used (or extended). This library
makes
      allows calls to C-functions available in Clean. It is available on the
      home-page. (Clean-to-C interface)
    - a C-to-Clean interface which allows C functions to call Clean
functions. It
      has not yet been documented but there is a sample project available on
      request.
    - callbacks. It has not been documented but there is also a sample
project
      available on request. This sample project illustrates some tricks to
have
      callback-functions in Clean.

The last two items may not yet be needed to create a language interface.

I should stress again that at the moment the Clean group is not considering
an unix port. As a consequence, the initiative is with the (unix) user
community.

Martijn Vervoort
Clean group