[clean-list] Clean on Unix

Martijn Vervoort martijnv@cs.kun.nl
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 12:13:19 +0100

Hi,

As Martin has already pointed out Clean is most actively supported for
MacOS and Windows. There however a few points to be made.

The basic Clean-system (CleanIDE, compiler, code generator and StdEnv)
is available for unix. The 2.0 compiler will also become available for unix
but
will most probably not include dynamics because its implementation depends
upon more than just the compiler.

GUI libraries are indeed a problem. The old 0.8-library on unix doesn't
conform
to todays standards so it does not make much sense to port this library.

For the time being the Object I/O will *not* be ported to another platform.
Its
sources e.g. including the necessary c-files are available to everyone (on
the
Clean homepage).

I see the following possibilities:
- use WINE which currently implements most of the windows API. A
  dynamic link library which implements an API under windows, can be
  replaced by a native (portable) unix counterpart.

  I have run the CleanIDE 2.0 under Linux. There are however still problems
  to be solved e.g. the bring-up-to-date option didn't work because the last
  character was somehow stripped from the cocl-entry in the environments.

  The applications have the look and feel of a windows application

- port it to KDE, Gnome or another user interface
  This is probably a lot of work but perhaps there are volunteers who would
   be willing to do it? In that case, I will of course be happy to answer
   questions.

Other libraries such as the ArgEnv and Directory libraries are already
available for unix.

Martijn Vervoort
(Clean group)