Just checking...

Monique Wittebrood & Marco Kesseler m.wittebrood@mailbox.kun.nl
Fri, 26 May 2000 13:19:55 +0200

>I should test that myself, but perhaps this is a quicker way...
>

>How *portable* is the StandardBitmap stuff?

[...snip...]

>M. Kesseler wrote a JPEG package, but - apparently - this is not (yet?)
>complete (I might be wrong).

The JPEG package does not use true bitmaps in any way. Instead it rather
uses lists. It acts like a filter: it reads a JPEG stream, and outputs the
decoded pixels in a certain order. Doing so, memory requirements are often
less than the size of the resulting image.

For those who are interested. I am about to submit a new version (1.03). It
will contain a small example application that converts jpeg images to the
'ppm' format. This will make it a bit easier to try it out. Furthermore, I
have avoided some 'early matches'. This has reduced memory requirements
drastically for certain images. And finally, I have added some more support
for reading certain JPEG variants.

I guess it will pop-up at the Clean pages within the next week or so.

>Best.
>
>Jerzy Karczmarczuk
>Caen, France

regards,