getting started

Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira costa@ufu.br
Sat, 20 May 2000 13:29:35 -0300

Dear Clean team.
I happen to work very close to the bioengeneering lab. There, there
is a team who created a prosthetic arm, that can be used by
amputees. There is a program in Clean that finds and extracts features from
electromyographic signals. These features are fed to a neural
network, that recognizes them as commands to move the arm.
Everything is working wonderfully well in a full slackware linux
platform. The system can recognize almost 100% of the samples
(against 70% reported in the literature). It has only a small drawback ):

The poor volunteer, besides loosing his left arm in an accident, must
use the right one to carry a PC around, in order to execute the
Clean program that controls his prosthetic arm. The other option
is to plug the volunteer to a PC, like a marionette.

I suggested Dr. Alcimar Soares (the head of the project) and other people
involved that they should run the program from one of those specialized
computers, whose weight is only 1 kg, and that are driven by a tiny linux.
There is only a problem with my suggestion. Dr. Jamil Salem (the
Linux man) could not figure out  how to generate static execs with Linux
Clean. He  tried almost every link option and all we got was dynamic
linking. Could someone tell me how to s-link Linux Clean?

Dr Alcimar volunteers will thank you very much, because they can not buy
the idea of using their only arm to transportate the PC.

Eduardo Costa