getting started

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.oz.au
Mon, 22 May 2000 22:41:55 +1000

On 20-May-2000, Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira <costa@ufu.br> wrote:
> The poor volunteer, besides loosing his left arm in an accident, must
> use the right one to carry a PC around, in order to execute the
> Clean program that controls his prosthetic arm. The other option
> is to plug the volunteer to a PC, like a marionette.
>
> I suggested Dr. Alcimar Soares (the head of the project) and other people
> involved that they should run the program from one of those specialized
> computers, whose weight is only 1 kg, and that are driven by a tiny linux.
> There is only a problem with my suggestion. Dr. Jamil Salem (the
> Linux man) could not figure out  how to generate static execs with Linux
> Clean. He  tried almost every link option and all we got was dynamic
> linking. Could someone tell me how to s-link Linux Clean?

This was such a good cause that I finally got around to downloading
Clean and trying it out.

You can statically link programs using the following commands:

	echo "-static" > static.lo
	clm -sl static ...

For example, to statically link the `tak' program in the
`examples' directory of the Clean distribution, create the
`static.lo' file using the echo command above and then use

	clm -s static tak -o tak

Cheers,
	Fergus.

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.