Mercury

Zuurbier, E. - AMSXE Erik.Zuurbier@KLM.NL
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 09:20:33 +0100

> > But what about the other way around? What would a Mercury
> > programmer do with lazy Clean algorithms to implement them
> > in Mercury? If it is a mere syntax conversion, or some straight
> > forward transformation, that is great. Tell me where I can read more
> > about it.
>
> It is indeed basically just a syntax conversion.  See
> <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~lee/papers/eq/>, in particular section 7 of
> the tech report there.  This deals with adding support for functions
> and lazy evaluation to NU-Prolog, via a simple pre-processor.

This is not what I mean. Rather: What would a programmer do today
with Mercury as it is today, when given a (Clean/Haskell) algorithm
that makes use of laziness. For instance the algorithms in the famous
paper "Why Functional Programming Matters" by John Hughes.

Does Mercury (today) have specific logic features that easily make up
for the absence of lazy evaluation? Would John Hughes' algorithms
be easy to code in Mercury today?

Erik Zuurbier