Lazy evaluation in Mercury

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.oz.au
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:43:39 +1100

This started off on the Clean mailing list, but I'm cross-posting to the
mercury-users mailing list too.

On 08-Mar-1999, Zuurbier, E. - AMSXE <Erik.Zuurbier@KLM.NL> wrote:
> > > But what about the other way around? What would a Mercury
> > > programmer do with lazy Clean algorithms to implement them
> > > in Mercury? If it is a mere syntax conversion, or some straight
> > > forward transformation, that is great. Tell me where I can read more
> > > about it.
> >
> > It is indeed basically just a syntax conversion.  See
> > <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~lee/papers/eq/>, in particular section 7 of
> > the tech report there.  This deals with adding support for functions
> > and lazy evaluation to NU-Prolog, via a simple pre-processor.
> >
> This is not what I mean. Rather: What would a programmer do today
> with Mercury as it is today, when given a (Clean/Haskell) algorithm
> that makes use of laziness. For instance the algorithms in the famous
> paper "Why Functional Programming Matters" by John Hughes.

Oh, the programmer would apply the kind of syntactic transformation described
above by hand.  If you only need call-by-name rather than call-by-need,
then it is quite straight-forward to do this -- the transformation is
quite simple.

> Does Mercury (today) have specific logic features that easily make up
> for the absence of lazy evaluation?  Would John Hughes' algorithms be
> easy to code in Mercury today?

Yes, particularly if you only need call-by-name.
You can define a module with the following interface:

	:- module lazy.
	:- interface.

	% lazy(T) is an abstract type representing a
	% lazily-evaluated value of type T
	:- type lazy(T).
	% :- inst lazy.

	% convert a value from type T to lazy(T)
	:- func val(T) = lazy(T).
	:- mode val(in) = out(lazy) is det.

	% construct a lazily-evaluated lazy(T) from a closure.
	:- func delay((func) = T) = lazy(T).
	:- mode delay((func) = out is det) = out(lazy) is det.

	% force the evaluation of a lazy(T), and return the result as type T.
	:- func force(lazy(T)) = T.
	:- mode force(in(lazy)) = out is det.

Then you use the type `lazy(T)' instead of `(T)' whenever you want
lazy evaluation.  The only thing you then need to do is to insert
some explicit calls to convert between these, i.e. writing `value(X)'
or `delay((func) = R :- R = X)' to convert from T to lazy(T) eagerly
or lazily, respectively, and writing `force(X)' to convert from lazy(T)
to a T.  The type checker will tell you when you need those.

With this interface, you can for example use

	:- type lazy_list(T) ---> [] ; [T | lazy(lazy_list(T))].

to implement lazy lists.

You can implement this interface quite easily:

	% Mercury doesn't have abstract insts, so we have to put these insts
	% in the interface.  (The user can't make any non-abstract use
	% of them, fortunately, because the type is abstract.)
	:- inst lazy == lazy(ground).
	:- inst lazy(I) ---> value(I) ; closure((func) = out(I) is det).

	:- implementation.
	:- type lazy(T) ---> value(T) ; closure((func) = T).

	val(X) = value(X).
	delay(X) = closure(X).
	force(value(X)) = X.
	force(closure(F)) = apply(F).

This implementation does have a couple of drawbacks.  One is that
attempts to unify two values of type lazy(T) will not do the right
thing.  The other is that it only gives you call-by-name rather
than call-by-need.

However, it is possible to remedy those drawbacks.  I enclose a
complete implementation below.  I must confess that I haven't tested
it yet, but it compiles, and therefore it probably works ;-)
This is also IMHO a very good candidate for the standard library.

Cheers,
	Fergus.

P.S.  I expect that this would probably be quite a bit less efficient
than lazy evaluation in Haskell or Clean.  One reason is that
in the current implementation of Mercury, promise_only_solution/1
(which we need to use in the implementation of force/1)
imposes a significant and unnecessary efficiency cost.
Another reason is simply that in Haskell and Clean, lazy evaluation
is implemented at a much lower level, and compilers go to great lengths
to optimize it.

%-----------------------------------------------------------------------------%

	:- module lazy.
	:- interface.

	% a lazily-evaluted value of type T
	:- type lazy(T).

	% convert a value from type T to lazy(T)
	:- func val(T) = lazy(T).
	:- mode val(in) = out(lazy) is det.

	% construct a lazily-evaluated lazy(T) from a closure.
	:- func delay((func) = T) = lazy(T).
	:- mode delay((func) = out is det) = out(lazy) is det.

	% force the evaluation of a lazy(T), and return the result as type T.
	:- func force(lazy(T)) = T.
	:- mode force(in(lazy)) = out is det.

	% The following may be needed occaisionally, in case
	% the compiler can't infer the right higher-order inst...
	:- func inst_cast(lazy(T)) = lazy(T).
	:- mode inst_cast(in) = out(lazy) is det.

	%---------------------------------------------------------------------%

	% implementation details
	:- inst lazy(I) ---> value(I) ; closure((func) = out(I) is det).
	:- inst lazy == lazy(ground).

	:- implementation.

	% Note that we use a user-defined equality predicate to ensure
	% that unifying two lazy(T) values will do the right thing.
	:- type lazy(T) ---> value(T) ; closure((func) = T)
		where equality is equal_values.

	:- pred equal_values(lazy(T), lazy(T)).
	:- mode equal_values(in, in) is semidet.
	equal_values(X, Y) :-
		force(inst_cast(X)) = force(inst_cast(Y)).

	:- pragma c_code(inst_cast(F::in) = (F2::out(lazy)),
		[will_not_call_mercury, thread_safe], "F = F2;").

	%---------------------------------------------------------------------%

	val(X) = value(X).
	delay(F) = closure(F).

	% If the compiler were to evaluate calls to delay/1 at compile time,
	% it could put the resulting closure/1 term in read-only memory,
	% which would make destructively updating it rather dangerous.
	% So we'd better not let the compiler inline delay/1.
	:- pragma no_inline(delay/1).

	%---------------------------------------------------------------------%

	% The call to promise_only_solution is needed to tell the
	% compiler that force will return equal answers given
	% arguments that are equal but that have different representations.
	force(Lazy) = promise_only_solution(do_force(Lazy)).

	:- pred do_force(lazy(T), T).
	:- mode do_force(in(lazy), out) is cc_multi.

	% The pragma promise_pure is needed to tell the compiler that
	% do_force is pure, even though it calls impure code.
	:- pragma promise_pure(do_force/2).

    	do_force(Lazy, Value) :-
		(
			Lazy = value(Value)
		;
			Lazy = closure(Func),
			Value = apply(Func),

			% Destructively update the closure with a new
			% closure that immediately returns the same value,
			% to avoid having to recompute the same result
			% next time.
			NewFunc = ((func) = Result :- Result = Value),
			impure update_closure(Lazy, NewFunc)
		).

	:- impure pred update_closure(T1, T2).
	:-        mode update_closure(in, in) is det.

	% Note that the implementation of this impure predicate relies on
	% some implementation details of the Mercury implementation.
	:- pragma c_code(
		update_closure(MercuryTerm::in, NewValue::in),
		[will_not_call_mercury],
	"{
		/* strip off tag bits */
		Word *ptr = (Word *) strip_tag(MercuryTerm);
		/* destructively update value */
		*ptr = NewValue;
	}").

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.