The fate of S, K and I

gvissers@theochem.kun.nl gvissers@theochem.kun.nl
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:05:09 +0100 (MET)

On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Pascal Serrarens wrote:

> The reason why they were removed were name collisions in a number of cases. S,
> K and I are rather general names. For example, some people wanting to
> implement some chemistry stuff tried to use S for sulfur, K for Potassium and
> I for Iodine. They could not do it without rewriting the StdEnv.

Well, I have checked it out a bit, but as far as I can see only "S" is
removed. The functions "I" and "K" are still in the StdEnv as "id" and
"const". I agree with Pascal that the old function names were quite
annoying
when trying to implement the elements, but it can't be that hard to think
of meaningful names for these combinators, so why would you remove them?