The fate of S, K and I

G.P.H. Josten gjosten@sci.kun.nl
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:19:05 +0100

# On Fri, 19 Feb 1999, Pascal Serrarens wrote:
#
# > The reason why they were removed were name collisions in a number of cases. S,
# > K and I are rather general names. For example, some people wanting to
# > implement some chemistry stuff tried to use S for sulfur, K for Potassium and
# > I for Iodine. They could not do it without rewriting the StdEnv.
#
# Well, I have checked it out a bit, but as far as I can see only "S" is
# removed. The functions "I" and "K" are still in the StdEnv as "id" and
# "const". I agree with Pascal that the old function names were quite
# annoying
# when trying to implement the elements, but it can't be that hard to think
# of meaningful names for these combinators, so why would you remove them?
#
# G
#

By the way, what about U for Uranium, we have had trouble with the U too....

Greetings,
Geert