The fate of S, K and I

Pascal Serrarens pascalrs@cs.kun.nl
Fri, 19 Feb 1999 09:52:16 +0100

OLIVIER LEFEVRE wrote:

> Pascal Serrarens wrote:
>
> > [SK-combinators] were available in Clean 1.2!
> > (Please do not ask me why they were removed.)
>
> P. Serrarens, you are a provocator! We cannot let this pass :)
> I hereby ask why they were removed.

The reason why they were removed were name collisions in a number of cases. S,
K and I are rather general names. For example, some people wanting to
implement some chemistry stuff tried to use S for sulfur, K for Potassium and
I for Iodine. They could not do it without rewriting the StdEnv.

Of course this is because the module system offered by Clean at the moment is
not very flexible. The new Clean 2.0 will have a more flexible module system
were you can create functions in a local scope.

Pascal.